Date: 7th April 2015 at 5:28pm
Written by:

Steven Fletcher become the first Scotland player to score a hattrick since 1969 after his side’s nervy start against Gibraltar in their UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying match at Hampden Park.

Shaun Maloney scored his first penalty of the game, however, a minute later policeman Lee Casciaro got his country’s first ever competitive goal to equalise.

The first half comeback began soon after with a header from Fletcher, another Maloney penalty and a half-volley from Steven Naismith.

Fletcher’s two second half goals took Scotland level on points with Poland and Germany at the top of Group D as Gordon Strachan will now turn his attention to Scotland’s next crucial fixture against Ireland in June.

However, the game began with a freak chance for the minnows as Joseph Chipolina’s cross nearly beat David Marshall as it came in on his goal side in the eighth minute.

It took Scotland another ten minutes to get on the scoresheet as goalkeeper Jamie Robba clattered Maloney on the byline leading to a penalty which Maloney powerfully hit into the bottom right hand corner of the goal.

Moments after history was made for Gibraltar as Aaron Payas picked out Casciaro who capitalised on the 3-5-2 system that Strachan chose with a delightful strike.

Naismith then forced a fantastic save from Robba before he was soon after beaten by Fletcher’s tame header which ended his six year international goal drought.

An unnecessary foul from the goalscorer’s namesake, Kyle Casciaro, on Naismith in the box led to another Maloney penalty which he struck in the same place as his first in the 34th minute.

Scotland continued on the resurgence as Fletcher volleyed against the post minutes before Ikechi Anya cut back the ball to Naismith who fired in.

Fletcher scored his second header of the game in the 77th minute after a cross from substitute Jordan Rhodes who ten minutes after forced a phenomenal stop from Robba.

The Sunderland striker sealed off his performance with a 90th minute hit from the edge of the box and became the first player since Colin Stein to score an international hattrick in front of the Tartan Army fans.